Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thursday's Pick



Quite by accident a while ago (read: I don't remember when), I found the book Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs in my public library. After reading the description I just knew I had to rush home and read it. I was not disappointed. It produced many laughs and also many WTF? situations. This kid was seriously screwed up; but it was oh-so-humorous. After reading that one little book, I felt compelled to read everything else he'd written: Sellevision, Possible Side Effects, Dry, Magical Thinking. They were all so incredible. That's why, when I read the latest Bestseller list at Barnes and Noble.com and saw that he'd turned out another bestseller, I just had to track it down. Thank you public library for recognizing the awesomeness that is Augusten Burroughs! This book is slightly different than his other works. This book is a memoir of his father. If you have read any of his other pieces, you will have noted the absence of his father. This book explains why. It's like a pre-cursor to the rest of the story. I was truly captivated by this book that sometimes made me shudder and gasp in the horrific events that almost took place. Yet another great read. Rush (Hurry, I'll wait) right out and pick this up. And if you haven't read "Running With Scissors," pick that up too. It'll finish where this one leaves off.

2 comments:

Lyvvie said...

Awesome - someone new to fall in love with.

That Chick Over There said...

I've GOT to read this. Someone commented on my blog once that I reminded them of this author and I've never anything by him.